Potato salad has always been a family favorite especially during those summer BBQs, but what I didn’t know was just how EASY it is to make it at home! I’ve got a recipe that is easy, quick, and will have your entire family dying for the last bit.
Although I do not personally like celery in my potato salad (well, let’s be real…I HATE celery so much so I never use it), most normal people love the added crunch. I have an option in this recipe to add it if you so choose.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is really easy to alter depending on your liking. A lot of store-bought potato salads are on the “mushy” side, and very creamy, meaning they’re heavy in the mayo. If you like your potato salad the traditional American style, add the bigger amount of mayo and 2 tablespoons of mustard. This will add the extra creaminess without tasting bland. Make sure that if you do up the mayo, you must up the mustard as well, otherwise it will lack the traditional flavors. I always try my sauce before adding to the potatoes to make sure everything tastes how I want it to. If you realize you want to add more herbs? Go for it! These are our go-to favorite herbs in potato salad, but feel free to add different flavors, like rosemary or thyme, to add more depth!
Potato salads can be used at every occasion, try out this recipe and serve to the whole family. I guarantee no one will be able to tell it’s vegan!
Best Vegan Potato SaladCourse: Appetizers, SaladsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
10 small-medium potatoes; peeled and cubed
1 – 1 1/4 cup vegan mayo; more for creamier salad
1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp parsley; dried
1/2 – 1 tsp dill; dried
1 tsp onion powder
1/3 cup celery; chopped (optional)
- Peel and cube potatoes. *See notes
- Bring a pot of water to boil, and place potatoes in pot. Cook for roughly 15 minutes, until potatoes are soft but not mushy.
- Drain potatoes and let cool.
- While potatoes are cooling, make dressing. In a bowl, mix mayo, pickles, mustard, celery, salt, pepper, parsley, dill, and onion powder until smooth. Add paprika and additional seasoning to taste.
- Once potatoes are cooled, add in dressing and combine. Chill until ready to serve.
- For your potatoes, we like keeping some of the skins on so feel free to do the same.
- Different types of potatoes can cook at faster/slower rates, so I recommend checking them at 10 minutes, and go from there. Russet potatoes get mushy quicker, so be sure to not overcook.
- If you like having “egg” in your potato salad, I recommend cutting up 1/3 cup firm tofu into chucks. This will give you a similar texture to hardboiled egg-whites.
Serve this fantastic potato salad alongside any BBQ, picnic, or fun lunch and watch it be devoured by guests, no matter their diets! You can never go wrong with a good one!