Alright people! If you have NEVER heard of Cap’n Crunch chicken you probably think this sounds gross or weird. If you’re thinking this sounds like the perfect combination you didn’t know you were missing, you are absolutely right! Prepare to be wowed as this new appetizer that will be devoured no matter the hour of day or occasion.
This recipe was first made famous by Planet Hollywood. Our family loves our vacations to Vegas, and when we came across this appetizer years ago we NEEDED to try this thing! I mean, a famous restaurant offering something like this? It must be delicious…and it WAS! Now, of course, it doesn’t quite fit the vegan lifestyle we live, so we needed to come up with a delicious alternative!
There are many vegan alternatives to meat nowadays, making the transition to veganism or plant-based even easier! Tofu, mock meats, and sausages have really upped their game the last few years and the alternatives are endless. To recreate this famous recipe, we decided to use tofu. Our family loves tofu because of how easy it is to crisp up and flavor however we want! If you are allergic to soy, there are other great chicken alternatives such as Gardein Chick’n Scallopini or Beyond Meta’s Chicken-free Strips. BOTH of these options are also gluten-free! TOTAL WIN! Although we haven’t tried the other chick’n subs yet, if you do let us know how they turn out! For now, let’s get to the recipe.
Cap’n Crunch Chicken – Vegan Style!Course: AppetizersCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
1 package extra firm tofu
4 cups Cap’n Crunch Cereal; crushed
2 Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer “eggs”
1/4 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy)
Oil for frying
- Press tofu to get rid of excess water; using paper towels or tofu press
- Slice into strips; we get 12 strips from 1 package of tofu
- Fill a pan with oil until the bottom is coated approx. 1/8 inch deep. Pan-fry tofu until nicely golden brown (If you prefer, place on greased baking sheet at 400′ for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown). Let cool.
- Take Cap’n crunch and place in bag to crush or in a food processor. It should be fine with a few bigger pieces.
- Prepare “egg wash”. Make two “eggs” with Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer. In a separate bowl whisk milk and eggs until smooth.
- Dip tofu into egg wash then coat thoroughly with Cap’n Crunch. Repeat to all pieces.
- Pan-fry coated strips on medium heat until golden on all sides and place on paper towel to dry off excess oil.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauces. We love Dijon or vegan honey mustard, bbq, and ketchup. You could even do these with maple syrup for a more breakfast “chicken and waffles” style appetizer! Crazy good.
We can’t wait for you to try this Cap’n Crunch Chicken recipe. We highly recommend these for Super Bowl Sunday and any type of party, so don’t wait to try these out for yourself. They will be a HUGE hit by all, we guarantee it!