Chickpea salad stuffed avocados. Bring on the goodness of this yummy combo that’s about to mix up your salad game!
So let’s get right to it… Chickpeas! These little things are the main ingredient in this vegan salad. There are so many purposes for chickpeas, however we love them best as a substitute for TONS of good creamy salad recipes! Craving a chicken salad sandwich CHICKPEAS! Tuna salad? Chickpeas! When combined with the right flavors and spices these are just like the real deal, making it a great substitute and intro into vegan salads. For our recipe, we’ve made a chickpea salad stuffed avocado because WHO doesn’t like avocado and why not combine this into a great combination?
In most tuna or chicken salads the base of it all is a heavy mayo. We love the creaminess that it can add, however we decided to take it a bit lighter on the mayo to really showcase the chickpeas and avocado. If you like yours extra creamy feel free to add some extra vegan mayo!
When it comes to recipes like this, we love finding ways to incorporate extra protein and nutrients. For this chickpea salad we’ve added sunflower seeds to add a little something extra! Not only do they add an extra crunch, they’re rich in healthy fats and nutrients. When switching to plant-based eating, it’s always fun to find creative ways to sneak in some added benefits and this is a fun recipe to do that with. Enough talk on all this good stuff, now let’s get to the recipe!
Chickpea Salad Stuffed AvocadosCourse: LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Halved avocados stuffed with this amazing homemade chickpea salad is the best way to up your traditional “salad” game.
1 cup chickpeas
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
3 tbsp vegan mayo
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup red onion; chopped
1/4 cup celery; chopped
1/4 cup pickles; chopped
1-2 tbsp dried dill
1 whole avocado
- Drain a can of chickpeas and put a cup aside in a bowl. *See note.
- Add mayo, Dijon, sunflower seeds, chopped red onion, chopped celery, and pickles and dill into bowl and combine.
- Slice avocado in half and remove pit.
- Top avocado with chickpea salad by the spoonful and enjoy!
- If you aren’t a fan of chickpeas themselves but want to try this, I highly recommend mashing the chickpeas to break the skin and get a more smooth texture! This will resemble more of an egg salad consistency which may be more favorable to you.
- When using canned chickpeas, I highly recommend saving the brine when you can, as this can be a FANTASTIC substitute for egg whites in meringue and other whipped egg recipes.