So apparently I’m CRAZY because I had never tried, yet HEARD, of fluffernutters. My mom gave me this idea so I thought why not go for it! For this cupcake, I used my go-to chocolate cupcake, made a peanut butter frosting with a toasted marshmallow on top. Perfection!
In case you are like me and have no idea what exactly a fluffernutter is, it’s a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich on white bread. YES. This is a thing! It was created in the early 1900’s right after the marshmallow fluff was created. In 1960 the term “fluffernutter” was created as a marketing name because they thought it would make it more exciting. Crazy, right?! So I added a chocolate twist to the famous combo and created this cupcake.
Chocolate Fluffernutter CupcakesCourse: DessertDifficulty: Medium
The famous fluffernutter has been turned into a cupcake and we can’t wait for you to be as obsessed as we are!
- Chocolate Cupcake
1 1/2 cups Gluten-free all purpose flour (We love Premium Gold Flax and Ancient Grain GF Flour for this recipe)
1 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup fair trade cacao powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2-3 tsp vanilla
- Peanut Butter Frosting
1 cup vegan butter (we find Earth Balance sticks work the best!)
1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
3 cups vegan powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350′.
- Combine all dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Add in all wet ingredients. Mixture should be on the runny side.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make frosting. Use a standing mixer to whip butter and peanut butter together on slow-medium speed. Slowly add powdered sugar by the cup.
- Frost cupcakes in desired fashion! Roast a marshmallow and set right on top. Drizzle extra peanut butter for full PB effect. Enjoy!