Meet Jackfruit… A “jack” of-all-trades in the vegan world, if you will!
Looking for a new great meat substitute? I’m sure you’ve heard of jackfruit. It has a very similar texture to shredded pork and takes on the flavor of any sauce or seasoning you might like such as BBQ sauces or taco seasoning. Even the meat lovers in our family approve of our jackfruit recipes!
Jackfruit & Butternut Squash TacosCourse: Lunch, DinnerDifficulty: Medium
A delicious take on Taco Tuesday!
1/2 can black or pinto beans
1 can jackfruit
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can green chilies
1 8oz package butternut squash, cubed
organic vegetable broth
1 cup cooked rice
1 cup sweet corn
1 packet organic gluten-free taco mix
cilantro or shredded greens spring mix
Soyer/Follow Your Heart sour cream
Organic corn tortillas
Daiya shredded mozzarella cheese
- Drain jackfruit and place in pan with 1 cup vegetable broth. Cook until jackfruit starts to shred. (it will look just like shredded pork)
- Add corn, chilies, butternut squash, tomato sauce, beans, and taco seasoning with 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Stir until mixed then cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until squash is tender and mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Make rice. If making from scratch I like to use vegetable broth instead of water to add more flavor.
- Warm your tortillas on a skillet or stovetop.
- Make your tacos! Take a spoonful of rice and top with a spoon or two of jackfruit on a tortilla. Add any fixings you like. We like guac, sour cream, spring mix with cilantro and shredded cheese. Enjoy!