In our home we have 2 gluten-free eaters, 2 vegans, 2 meat and dairy eaters and 1 that eats healthy, but is a true foodie who tries anything that looks good no matter what it’s made out of! So, as you could imagine, finding meals that can accommodate all of us is difficult sometimes. However, I’m finding that veganizing recipes is a good way to sneak in some of my favorites without anyone really knowing…they just think the food tastes good!
For this recipe, I use organic mushrooms. Small portabellas work great! For our bread, we used Schar gluten-free, however feel free to use any bread that suits you and your family.
Stuffing-Stuffed MushroomsCourse: AppetizersDifficulty: Medium
A perfect addition to your Thanksgiving and holiday meals, this mushrooms stuffed with gluten-free stuffing will make your hearts jump for joy.
2 packs of mushrooms (at least 24 mushrooms)
1 loaf gluten-free bread
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped granny smith apples
3-4 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp vegan butter or 1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp dry sage
- Preheat oven to 325′.
- Cut bread into cubes and season with favorite unsalted herb blend (We like Gourmet Collection Garlic and Onion)
- Bake on baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- In large pot, sauté celery, onion, and apple in oil or vegan butter of choice (I find Earth Balance Vegan cooks up very well) for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is lucid.
- Add spices and 3 cup broth bring to boil. Gently mix in bread crumbs, if dry after mixing add more broth until all bread is moist but not soggy.
- Stuff stuffing into clean stem-free mushrooms and bake covered at 325′ for 30 minutes. Put a few tablespoons of broth into bottom of baking pan to keep mushrooms moist.
- Plate and enjoy immediately!