Matcha powder is a powerhouse, full of benefits for your body and mind. It is loaded with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg. EGCg is known to have cancer fighting properties and is part of a class of catechins that counteract the effects of free radicals from pollution, chemicals, UV rays and radiation which can lead to cell damage and DNA damage.
We have heard over the years how the power of antioxidants can be good for our health and how they protect us from disease. When thinking of good sources of antioxidants, blueberries and greens, like broccoli and spinach, are frequent food choices. However, matcha has 17x the potency of antioxidants than blueberries and 130x more than spinach. Another way of thinking of it is you would need to drink 10 cups of regular green tea to equal 1 cup of matcha tea for the same benefits. Crazy, huh?!
Green teas have also been known for weight loss and matcha is no exception. According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition matcha green tea increases thermogenesis from a normal 8%-10% to a remarkable 35% to 43%. Bottom line? Matcha boosts metabolism and burns calories.
Among the benefits listed above, here are some more benefits that make matcha a perfect alternative to coffee or other herbal teas:
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll, and vitamins
- Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- One serving is nutritionally equal to 10 cups of green tea
- 137% more antioxidants than green tea
- Prevents disease
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
When thinking of adding a powerful antioxidant into your diet with many health benefits think of trying matcha tea! Here’s our recipe:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk*
- 1 tsp green organic matcha tea powder (see the link below for one of the brands we use a lot)
- 4-6 oz hot water
- maple syrup or agave to sweeten, if desired
* Tip? Use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, as it adds sweetness and a richness that is very enjoyable! Looking for a soy-free or nut-free option? Flaxmilk is our way to go! Try it and let us know what you think!